Power Up Your Reporting
July 20 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
TWO DAYS! June 20th and 21st from 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Course learning outcomes
Poynter’s Al Tompkins, senior faculty for broadcast and online, will teach practical reporting skills you can use on your next shift.
In session one, you will learn:
- How to think visually, even when you are working in a COVID-19 world
- The elements of a great story lead
- The elements of a great tease
- How to land great soundbites and know them when you have them
- How to turn important (but hard to tell) topics into compelling stories
- The power of natural sound as journalism, not decoration
In session two, you will learn:
- What exactly is active voice and why it matters to journalism
- The secret to the first 10 seconds of a live shot
- Balancing creativity and clarity
- The power of setting
- The power of surprises: what goes where in a story and why
- The secret of word-order in sentences. (Hint: This is why Morgan Freeman is so powerful)
Who should take this course?
Perfect for TV reporters, MMJs, photojournalists and for assignment editors and producers who want to more effectively coach and partner with reporters.
- To enroll, Click here for Power up Your Reporting and select “Add to Cart”.
- When one or both (Leading A Local Newsroom Through Uncertain Times) courses are in your cart, enter coupon code 20-SBA-MO-100 and click “Apply.”
- The coupon will deduct 100% off the price of both courses.
- Continue to the check out screen where you will login with your existing poynter.org account or enter your details to register for a new poynter.org account.
This training is valued at $500 per course, but is free to members of Missouri Broadcasters Association.