Do you love the sport of politics? KSDK 5 On Your Side is hiring an experienced political editor who is committed to reporting multi-platform political stories by providing all perspectives to educate our audience about important matters of public policy. We also expect our political editor to serve as a watchdog for corruption, holding elected leaders accountable. We are ‘one content team.’ While broadcast skills are needed, the ability to write for the web – quickly and clearly – is just as important.
– Pitch story ideas on the political beat
– Serve as lead reporter for in-depth breaking news while staying abreast of local news developments
– Develop a network of sources and experts
– Edit digital video and operate camera with video and still capabilities
– Research stories by investigating public records
– Use visual journalism including videography, photography, graphics, and other visually distinct content
– Create balanced content that reflects the diversity of the St. Louis region
– Participate in newsroom editorial discussions
– Collaborate with our news team
– Duties may include moderating political debates, anchoring a digital show and/or podcast devoted to politics, weekly online column and/or a dedicated political newsletter.
– Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
– Minimum of 5 years of experience in news reporting including in-depth long-form reporting
– Strong interest in or prior experience covering politics, strongly preferred
– High standards of accuracy and fairness.
– Familiarity with or reason to relocate to St. Louis, a plus
– Experience in community, digital, and solution-based reporting
– Knowledge of ENPS and Edius is a plus
– Strong social media presence desired
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.