Are you a journalist who thrives on chasing the story and the pursuit of the truth? KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is recruiting a Digital Desk Producer who is curious about the world and has a vision for what local news can and should be for multiple platforms. The ideal candidate will have experience newsgathering, deploying crews and tracking multiple things at once. This person also has solid news judgment, creative writing skills and strong copy-editing skills. They also will have an “audience first” approach to producing and distributing content that meets consumers where they are.
Digital Desk Producers are leaders in our newsroom who urgently and aggressively cover breaking and developing stories. This position is for a person who is passionate about local news and connecting people with a track record of presenting hard news with the balance of many voices and perspectives.
This person will join a combined assignment desk and digital team that manages newsroom assignments and oversees the quality of 5 On Your Side stories across all platforms. The KSDK newsroom is proudly “one content team,” meaning broadcast and digital share equal stage. We believe in constant learning, but the ideal candidate will walk in having been trained in the basics of writing thorough articles and engaging headlines, optimized for different audience needs.
• Produce audience first, engaging content through digital articles, videos, photo galleries, social media, push alerts, live streams and interactive elements
• Gather and share story updates, tips and information internally
• Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user-generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
• Do all necessary reporting efforts to turn information into digital content, such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information, etc.
• Focus on accuracy and balance in stories through editing and working with reporters
• Work with urgency to publish and broadcast breaking news and update as needed
• Be a leader in editorial meetings and conversations, including pitching stories
• Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
• Monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
• Work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms
• Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, NBC affiliates and other partners to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
• 2-5 years of experience on an assignment desk or digital team preferred
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Experience with content management systems
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, CrowdTangle, Edius or ENPS a plus
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Basic image and video editing skills preferred
• Knowledge of the AP Stylebook preferred
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts
• Familiarity with St. Louis and/or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out. Please mention in your cover letter.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.