KY3/KSPR, the highly-rated, award winning NBC and ABC affiliate in Springfield, MO (market 72) is looking for the newest member of the KY3/KSPR First Alert Weather Team. We want an experienced meteorologist who can also be a creative news/weather MMJ. The meteorologist in this position would do weekend weather (including all social media, app requirements and cut-ins), fill-in for our meteorology staff during the week, report on severe weather from the field and in-studio, and be part of the storm team in all promotions. The successful candidate will also report, research, shoot and edit video for all platforms as an MMJ. As an MMJ, weather-related enterprise stories concentrating on viewers’ safety and security are preferred. In severe weather, must be able to cover tornadoes, winds, rain, storms, ice and snow as an MMJ in the field. We also do several weather-related specials that this person would help with as MMJ/meteorologist. We also welcome creative ideas on weather content year-round on our OTT/streaming channels. Must be willing to help with WeatherSchool, school visits and a possible upcoming community weather tour.
• Research, gather, shoot, write, edit and report news and weather stories for on-air and online in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way using all sources
• Report “live” on the scene, especially during breaking news and severe weather.
• Develop and maintain sources of information and knowledge about assignments, especially local and national weather
• Demonstrate sound news judgment, collaborate with others to present the story in the best way
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment and camera on a daily basis
• Enterprise weather/research-driven packages under tight deadlines. Participate in story selection process through meetings, daily contribution of lead story ideas centering on safety and security is required.
• Attend/host/speak at community service, schools, and community events; meet and greet viewers
• Post and regularly update stories and weather information on the web and social media, usually remotely and communicate with the web staff and other appropriate staff members during breaking news and severe weather
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
• Must be a visual storyteller; perform creative stand-ups and explanatory, moving live shots
• Be willing to learn or possess a broad and working knowledge of the viewing area, including people, places, things, and history (especially the counties for weather coverage)
• Use knowledge of appropriate lighting to enhance overall news presentation
• Critique, feedback, and training are part of the job
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Must have ability to prepare and deliver daily weather forecast using weather data and computers.
• Must be able to handle several tasks at once
• Must have a strong understanding of meteorology
• Must have flexibility to work any shift, including nights, weekends, mornings and holidays and to come into the station when necessary for severe weather coverage (including long hours)
• Develop innovative and creative new graphics for your weather presentation, and present in a creative fashion with emphasis on telling a weather story.
• Must be able to create maps and graphics for weather presentation
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in meteorology or related field is preferred
• Experience in television weather is a must
• Prefer 3-plus years’ experience as a meteorologist and/or MMJ
• Basic experience with both weather and newsroom computer systems is preferred. (ENPS, WSI MAX)
• Requires sitting 40% of the time and standing or walking 60% of the time, and some driving
• Requires heavy lifting of equipment, up to 40 lbs.
• Outdoor work in all weather conditions is to be expected in this position
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl, regularly sit, talk, and hear.
• Nights, weekends and holidays will be required. Schedule changes should be expected
• Local and regional travel is required, some national travel could be asked of you.
• Must hold a valid Missouri driver’s license and be insurable.
To Apply: Send your application, resume, and link to your latest resume tape to:
999 W. Sunshine
Springfield, MO 65807
KY3/KSPR is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
All job offers are contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug screen and an acceptable driving record for driving positions.
This job description does not necessarily contain all of the actual or essential duties of this position.