Are you a journalist who thrives on chasing the story and the pursuit of the truth? KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is recruiting a Digital Desk Producer who is curious about the world and has a vision for what local news can and should be on digital, social, streaming and audio platforms. The ideal candidate will have an “audience first” approach to producing and distributing content that meets consumers where they are. This person also has a solid news judgement, creative writing skills and strong copy editing skills.
Digital Desk Producers are leaders in our newsroom who urgently and aggressively cover breaking/developing stories. This position is for a person who is passionate about local news and connecting people with a track record of presenting hard news with the balance of many voices and perspectives.
This person will join a combined assignment desk and digital team that manages newsroom assignments and oversees the quality of 5 On Your Side digital content efforts across all platforms. The KSDK newsroom is proudly “one content team”- meaning broadcast and digital share equal stage. We believe in constant learning, but the ideal candidate will walk in having been trained in the basics of writing 500+ word articles and engaging headlines, optimized for Search Engine Optimization.
• Produce audience first, engaging content through digital articles, videos, photo galleries, social media, push alerts, live streams and interactive elements
• Focus on accuracy and balance in articles and social content through editing and working with reporters.
• Urgently and aggressively report news as it happens online (strong breaking news skills)
• Update published content as stories develop
• Manage all KSDK digital, social, audio and streaming accounts including launching live streams, managing homepage layout, etc
• Participate in editorial meetings and conversations, including pitching stories
• Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
• Social listening: monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
• Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
• Generate web traffic through Search Engine Optimization best practices
• Work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms
• Do all necessary reporting efforts to turn information into digital content, such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information, etc.
• Work with anchors and reporters to produce and publish content
• Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, NBC affiliates and other partners to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
• 2-5 years of experience on an assignment desk or digital team, preferred
• Strong writing and headline skills, a must
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Experience with content management systems
• Knowledge of Chartbeat, Google Analytics, CrowdTangle and/or ENPS, a plus
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Basic image and video editing skills, preferred
• Knowledge of the AP Stylebook, preferred
• Strong understanding of digital and social media analytics and metrics
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts, a must
• Familiarity with St. Louis and/or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out. Please mention in your cover letter!
Apply Online URL:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.