Radio Station Engineer
This position is responsible for the technical operations of the radio stations, KBIA and Classical 90.5, KAUD: 3 transmitter sites, audio system (all microphones, recording boards, satellite feeds entering the building, audio processing of FM and HD for transmission), all of the stations’ computers.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain transmitter sites – weekly inspect two transmitters in Columbia. Involves a visual check on transmitter, ensure no errors being generated, power levels are within FCC specifications, and troubleshoot if discrepancies arise. Inspects transmitter in Mexico, MO, once a quarter for same process previously described. Keep log at transmitter site about maintenance. Annually, coordinates inspection of antenna tower (contract with outside vendor to inspect it and identify potential problems)
- Maintaining automation system that performs audio switching for radio programs. Maintain newsroom and studio equipment as needed. Perform overnight installation of software for station as needed. Enable other radio stations to remotely interview local guests via KBIA equipment.
- Coordinate FCC mock inspection every four years.
- Planning and purchasing of new equipment – determine station’s technical needs, submit budget proposal to general manager and business manager, receive purchasing approval, purchase equipment, solicit bids from different
- Donor Relations: Enabling donor to receive radio station in their residence (KBIA, KMUC); if outside of listening area – provide WiFi access for listener and WiFi radio, hang antennas if needed; accompany station general manager on some donor visits to answer technical questions about how the stations work; Set up studio for pledge drive (4 times a year and usually 5 days per drive): add extra microphones, television for pledge drive statistics, add additional computers in studio, phone bank (5 lines) and laptops for drive; forward studio line to roll to phone bank room, ensure PCI compliance for pledge drive; participate in answering phones and on-air shift; troubleshoot throughout pledge drive
- Maintaining emergency alert system for KBIA and KMUC – each station runs tests, responsible for ensuring system is receiving these tests and running own tests, upgrading firmware as needed, ensure system is up to date and receives and sends message (emergency alert message). Ensure compliance with FCC regulations for announcers
Monday – Friday, 8 am to 5 pm with some nights and weekends Preferred Qualifications
Two years of experience in radio or television with experience maintaining transmitters, computers and related software and automation equipment.
Cover Letter, Resume, and contact information for three professional references along with online application required. Applications submitted without a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references will not be considered. Cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references must be combined into one document saved in the following format: Applicant Last Name, Applicant First Name Job
Opening ID number. File should be uploaded as a PDF. This document should be uploaded to the “Resume” section of the online job portal. Example: Doe, Jane Job Opening 12345.pdf
A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 3 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573- 884-7278.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://kbia.org/kbia-positions#stream/0 →